The Government of Botswana (GoB) in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) are implementing a Global Environment Facility (GEF) financed project titled “Promoting production and utilization of Biogas from Agro-waste in South-Eastern Botswana (Biogas Project)”. The Department of Energy (DOE) under the Ministry of Mineral Resources and Green Technology (MMGE) is implementing the project on behalf of Ministry of Environment, Natural Resources Conservation and Tourism (MENT) represented by Department of Waste Management and Pollution Control (DWMPC). The Research and Innovation aspect of the project is undertaken by Botswana Institute for Technology, Research and Innovation (BITRI).
The Biogas Project seeks to facilitate low-carbon investments in the production and utilization of biogas from agro-waste in the South-East, Southern, Kgatleng and Kweneng Districts. This component of the project seeks to construct 200 small scale biogas digesters on a first come first serve basis starting on the 1st June 2020.
This project is open to all eligible Batswana. Youth, women and people living with disability are highly encouraged to apply. People living with disability will be supported with initial feeding.
If application is in order and the eligibility is confirmed within 10 working days of submission the DOE will notify the beneficiary to start acquiring the construction materials.
NB: The beneficiary should not acquire the materials before being given notification by the DOE.
· The beneficiary will have a maximum of three (3) months to acquire the materials from the date of notification by the DOE.
· The beneficiary should notify the DOE once all the construction materials have been acquired and delivered to the site.
· The DOE will then facilitate and monitor the construction of the biodigesters.
· The project will cover cost of labour, one biogas stove or heater, one desulphuriser, one lamp holder and cover, one biogas pressure gauge and connection valves.
· There shall be no double benefiting from the project.
For more information contact:
e-mail address; firstname.lastname@example.org
Office telephone numbers: +267 364 0200/ 0262